What the Hell is Going On?: Assorted Noises, Sounds and Flights of Fancy

I cannot share this with Harry, so I will share it with you.

Harry and I were sorta in our own worlds with our creative items, I never read his two novels, he never listened to the cassette I gave him years ago. In fact, on the "praise page" of a collection of some of his writings "What the Hell is Going On?: Assorted Rants, Letters and Flights of Fancy 2001-2005", the quote from myself was "Jeff Larson: I haven't had a chance to read it yet".



With all that is going on at the moment and the last year, it makes me feel that I should've made a little more effort. Sometime after he got sick, I had sent him a review of my cassette that was released in Nov 2018. He was reading it outload to my mom while sitting at their kitchen table. My mom said that he was crying when he was reading it, and said "Jeff, you made it". I'm glad I have that memory. Now about the making it part, not so sure about that, unless you consider 29 people paying something for it making it. I am proud of it, and I am glad that he was able to witness it. It was he who started my interest in music. It was his guitar that he left home when he went off to college that I first stuck a fork in the strings of. It was his guitar amp that I eventually fried. I know I have forged my own path with things, but it was Harry who influenced the beginnings of my path.

                                                      Music in Similar Motion

Early March, the head of Linear Obsessional had asked for people to record something while the self-isolating was beginning. The recordings had to be under 3 and a half minutes, had to be recorded solo with no overdubs. For me this was something I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do, as I normally use loop pedals and such. For a few weeks, or at least it seemed to be, I couldn't quite find something that worked for me for this project. The evening of March 22nd with my guitar, a couple effects pedals, a stereo delay and two guitar amps, I was able to record something that I thought was good enough to put out. Now title...…..this was never something I was ever good at. Harry always was. Me? No. My clown that my grandmother had made me when I was little was Clowny. My stuffed animal bear that I had, the small one, was named Beary. The large on was Big Bear. I think you get the point. I went downstairs and sat on the couch. Not long after, my mom texted me that it was a year that day that Harry had been life flighted to the other hospital and put into MICU. While still at the first hospital, they had informed us that he was going to be in room the MICU, in room 17. So it felt fitting that it be titled "MICU 17".


Comments

  1. Very cool and edgy! You and Harry clearly shared a similar experimental artistry -- you in music and he in writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. It's probably one of the first things that I have recorded in a few years. The cassette that was released in Nov 2018 was old recordings that I had recorded on a 4 track cassette recorder that I had finally got around to digitizing.
      I still plan on doing something with Harry's novels, maybe I'll post the first chapter on here at some point.

      Delete
  2. Sort of King Crimson-ish. It's very good and quite original sounding. I wouldn't trip too hard about 29 people, the best show I ever played had about that many. Thank you for posting again and I hope you're weathering the apocalypse well.

    -Doug in Sugar Pine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dinthebeast, part of my problem is that I never wanted to put myself out there. I think that was part of Harry's problem also, sorta why I think he never did anything with his 2 novels.

      Delete
  3. I read the praise page comments and laughed.

    I needed that laugh.

    Thanks, Jerry. You'll always be around, you mad squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed that Bill. Even though they're probably dated now, I may try a post a few out of that collection sometime.

      Delete

Post a Comment